Glaze and Chemistry (or should I say glaze chemistry)

Until last weekend, I wouldn't put chemistry and glaze recipe together, because I'd been just following the recipes and didn't think much about the reaction to the glaze between those chemicals.  But Ron Roy (the author of Mastering Cone 6 Glazes) workshop had totally changed my perspective.  It was a very informative session.  Ron showed us how to use INSIGHT and GlazeMaster to analysis glaze recipes and how we can fix it if there is a problem with it.  It was a bit like going back to high school Chemistry class and the chemical symbols....NaO, KO, CaO, Al etc...and my brain almost exploded at the end of the second day. :p

I have now purchased INSIGHT and my plan is to put in all the glaze recipes I have now and see how stable they are in cone 6.  That should be fun.

Inventory update:
I managed to make my 6 pieces before the end of April.  They are mostly plates.  For May, I will be making mugs again. :)


Comments

Popular Posts