Another disappointment :(

I was firing up my bowls for Ottawa Guild of Potters' annual event: The Great Bowls of Fire last night.  I made 7 soup bowls, was thinking to use them to try out different glazing techniques with Ron Roy's Black and Mysterious Blue.  

When I was potting at the Nepean Visual Art Centre (NVAC), I had this lovely combination of NVAC's black with Mysterious Blue (as seen on the right).  













However, I've been having trouble with the NVAC's black recipe, so I went with Ron Roy's Black.  It looks pretty smooth and all.  However, it just doesn't have the same effect as the NVAC's black and mysterious blue.  It's quite disappointing.  Also, I might have made too thick of a layer for the black, it cracked a little too.  


 notice the chip - this one is with the same technique as shown above)

this one is done by pouring in mysterious blue on black

Unfortunately, since the chipping is in the inside of the bowl, I can't take it to the Great Bowls of Fire. :(

However, something did turn out OK with this glaze fire.  My friend gave me an idea to try throwing a bigger plate for fruit and here is the result.  This one is just under 11" in diameter.


Comments

Popular Posts